Satara Southern District came into existence on 8.3.1948, which included 6 institutions. (1) Sangli (2) Miraj Sr.
(3) Miraj JR (4) Jat (5) Jamkhandi and (6) Kurundwadi and Wadi Jahangir Sangli headquarter is one of the major states (institutions) of all above. District Supdt was the District Collector’s Office of Police. A sub-divisional police officer at Miraj had assisted. In the year 1959 a new Police Station. was created at Kurlap, increasing the number of Police Stations in the District from 14 to 15.
The Office of the SP Sangli and the Police Head Quarters were shifted to the new buildings in Vishrambag on 29.3.1968 and 1.7.1968 respectively.
On 22.11.1975 existing Budhgaon Police Station. was split into two Police Stations. viz. Sangli Rural and Miraj Rural Police Stations. thus raising the strength of the Police Stations. in the Dist. to 16.
On 8.11.1980 Sangli City Police Station. was split and a new Police Station. by name Market Yard Police Station. was created. This Police Station. was subsequently named and is presently functioning as Vishrambag Police Station.
On 9.1.1981 Kasegaon OP under Islampur Police Station. was upgraded into a full pledged Police Station. New Police Station. at Kokrud, Tal. Shirala was created and is functioning since 6.2.1985.
In the year 1985, a new Sub-Divn. for City was created. Thus the number of Sub-Divisions and Police Stations. in the Dist. rose to 3 and 19 respectively.
In June 1991, new Police Station. for Sangli-Miraj MIDC was created and is since then functioning at Kupwad. Two new Police Stations. were created at Chinchani-Wangi and Palus on 24.4.2002 and 2.5.2002 respectively. Total Police Stations in the Dist. are 22.
In the year 2003 under modernization of Police Dept., 3 more Sub-divisions were created at Jath, Vita and Tasgaon by surrendering 4 CPI posts.
In the year 2006 Sangli District Police Force Become the first ISO 9001-2000 Certified Police Force in all over India. Its one of the greatest ever achievement in the history of Sangli Police.